2009-07-14

Colognial Mass Hysteria

Back from my very long vacation. With tons of pictures. Except from Copenhagen, because that's Chris' jurisdiction-:)

My visit in Cologne, Germany, was interesting. Analyzing people and their behavior is one of my hobbies and the crowds running towards Cologne Cathedral was a psychological study in mass psychosis. I've never seen anything like that. This for sure was the symbol of commercialization in its most extreme form. Everybody holding a camera in their hands shooting at everything in their way while screaming and shouting. Inside the mighty cathedral complete chaos reigned. No attempt to control the crowds. Impossible to take a closer look at the decoration. After 20 minutes, a German voice from the loudspeakers asked us to leave.

However, I did manage to get a couple of shots from inside the cathedral before escaping to a cosy café to get my blood sugar back to normal


Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom) is worth a visit. But I know for sure, that my next visit will be executed as early in the morning as possible and not during the summer periode.

Cheers,
Asta

7 comments:

Jacob said...

Well, welcome home!!! We missed you a lot. I'm looking forward to all of your photographs and this first one is a beauty!

Your description of the mob descending upon the cathedral is scary!!! We're they waiting for it to open for visitors?

We were at Notre Dame in Paris in the middle of the summer and it was quite orderly - even in the long lines people were respectful of one another...

Anyway, again, welcome back...

Asta said...

Thank you, Jacob.

I had a wonderful trip. Germany is a beautiful country and we saw so many interesting sights and spectacular views.

The Rhine of course. And the river of Mosel. The Eifel Mountains. And the ancient town of Trier which I strongly recommend.

I'm sorry to say that there wasn't any kind of order in Cologne Cathedral. Which caught me by surprise, because Germans are usually highly organized. It was as if they'd given up. I thought it was a bit disrespectful to the spirit of the great founders of the magnificant cathedral.

We went to see the cathedral in Aachen, and that was completely different. Very organized and controlled........

Best regards
Asta

m_m said...

:) Wonderful capture! I like also your description of mass hysteria - very interesting:)

Rajesh said...

Welcome back to blogging again from your vacation. That is a fantastic snap.

JM said...

I know exactly what you mean! On my 2nd trip to India I went to Agra to visit the Taj Mahal... I was horrified the minute I entered the site: hundreds of people and a lot of noise made me feel in Disneyland! So frustrating being in such a gorgeous place with a lousy atmosphere!!!

~Cheryl said...

This is the second time I've become totally engrossed in your blog! Figure I better stop & leave a comment this time. I enjoy your photographs and delightful descriptions very much! This is a gorgeous window, and I can't help but wonder what the rest of the cathedral looked like. I don't know if I could survive chaos in a cathedral.

By the way, thanks for the follow and kind comments on my little blog! I hope you do make it to Colorado some day; if we are still running our B&B, you'll have to stay with us!

dong dong23 said...

ugg outlet
gucci outlet online
adidas yeezy boost 350
louis vuitton
toms shoes
hollister clothing
true religion jeans
louis vuitton
ugg boots
cheap jordan shoes
201612.22wengdongdong

There was an error in this gadget