2009-05-15

Philosophy for beginners

Developing my statement from yesterday - "Parents can't live their childrens lives and children can't live their parents lives", I claim that life experience is built on own experiences - not on third party experiences. In order to find out if something is good or bad for you, you need to jump into it and see what happens. Maybe your experience will be different from mine.

As with flavours. Everybody tells me that cheese tastes good. I don't agree. Because it smells like cowshit in my nose - and I don't eat cowshit. If you respect me you're not gonna make a lot of remarks on that. It's my taste buds - not yours. My experience. Not yours.

I would have liked my parents to read Nietzsches book 'Thus spake Zarathustra'. This book takes your mind over and beyond the 'normality' and forces you to reflect, in order to understand. And compare Nietzsches statements with familiar issues from your own life. For instans, one of Nietzsches statements is that you should not act as a fly swatter. - On the other hand, one must not be too kind either. - That's an interesting thought. - My interpretation is that we must explore the balance between a selfish mind and a selfless mind in order to find harmony within ourselves.

What's that got to do with my parents? - I think my parents overlooked the wisdom in Nietzsches words. They condemned it as rubbish because they didn't understand what he meant. However, what Nietzsche meant is far less relevant than how my parents would have interpreted his words, had they read the book.

'What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences otherwise than we do…?'
F. Nietzsche

Cheers,
Asta

2 comments:

Christopher Raun Leth said...

As a teacher I often try to make my students learn from my mistakes in life - and I know that it's impossible. I try anyway, hoping at least that they'll remember how I got my feet on the ground again or at least how I did damage control. For of course you're right; we can't live the lives of others, only try to help and support them, when the proverbial hits the fan. Some parents understand this (or learn it the hard way) and some don't. And in this I agree with Nietzsche, even though I often think him a bit too far out, especially in his views on morality.

Asta said...

Nietzsche was a philosopher. Whenever we want to find answers to our questions, we must make a statement and then begind to ask questions. Often beginning with 'why'. When answered that question, you again ask 'why' etc. This is why Nietzsche is interesting. There isn't any final answer to the question. It's all about interpretation.
I think one can tell about personal experiences however, one must always remember that in order to get experiences you must try it for yourself. That's what life is about. - This is about dealing with 'normal' everyday life experiences. When it comes to breaking the law it's another story. There you need to act as a manager with a full stop.

There was an error in this gadget