2009-01-03

Media ethics?

News media is often getting very close in order to give us the "best" and most speaking pictures. - Right now people in Gaza are suffering, and to give us a glimpse of the suffering, we get pictures of severe injured people rushed to the hospital, bodies of dead people and frustrated doctors and nursing staff trying to work in overcrowded hospitals with very little or no medical equipment.

We see these pictures in the newspaper and on TV, and it's become an accepted form of news reporting.

I never really questioned this in the past, however today I saw a video that's been broadcasted on several internet papers, naimly the video showing John Travoltas 16 year old son being rushed to hospital in an ambulance at the Bahamas. - What striked me in that moment was the complete lack of ethics that the person who recorded the video showed.


I mean - here we have an ambulance, carrying a child who'se in need of immidiate surgery or help. Most likely his parents are there as well. And the emergency staff are being prevented from doing their job, because someone's desperately trying to earn a buck on a breaking news story.

I'm a mother. And I know how I would feel if I was seeking emergency help for one of my daughters, but being prevented from my privacy from someone who's got nothing to do there. I would kill the bloody bastard!

I understand the need for important news. But there is a fine line between important news and violation of privacy. And the question I now ask myself is - isn't media violating peoples privacy in Gaza as well when filming dying or injured people? - These people have parents and relatives too. They don't deserve being used in medias need of making money either.

2 comments:

Christopher Raun Leth said...

In Copenhagen the emergency services have begun to put up screens to prevent bystanders taking photos or movies of victims at carcrashes. It is that big a problem here. But what really anoys me is that the media use these photos and movies. They should reject them but says that if they don't use them their rivals will!

Asta said...

Yes, it is disgusting. Profitting on others like that is disgusting and unethical.
It's also a problem that so called journalists scan the emergency radio and follow the police or emergency staff around just to get a scoop.
The media claims that this is caused by their viewers and readers - that we want this. In reality the need is created by the media. Their greed for the story. The million dollar picture or whatever.

There was an error in this gadget