2008-12-13

Reflections

Today is Lucia Day. It's a very old Swedish tradition, which I find beautiful, but never celebrate. Because I'm not Swedish. I prefer to keep my Danish traditions as much as I can.

Yesterday I wrote about my experiences with other peoples unconscious perception of age.

I received a respons which I am sharing with you here. It came from a man, who in my mind has a very healthy view of life.


"Isn't wrinkels a sign that you have turned wise and full of understanding? Or is it just an excuse for not having to use arguments when you put statements on the table? You just have to say that your long experience tells you that the case is such and such and all fall down in awe of your wisdom :-). As said before; age is a question of perception in oneself ... and others. Unfortunately people tend to put other people in a figuratively box based on their age. When people reach a certain age they are seen as mumbling drooling fools no better than small children. Please keep me (and yourself) out of that box:-)."


It's interesting that age is so important to us. It's really just a fictive number that someone invented just to keep us busy feeling sorry for ourselves. It doesn't say anything about us or our values.

I see myself as wise and understanding. The older I get the more laissez faire I also get. But that's being interpreted as a negative thing, which I don't think it is. My carrier is behind me. Ambitions is tuned down. That gives me an opportunity to explore life in a much different way than 10 years ago.

In the past I wouldn't have shown what's inside of me in public (I mean in a blog), but today it's not so complicated. I am who I am, I can't change that, and I won't. Being myself is one of the real privileges that comes with age. Another positive thing about getting older is, that I can joke about myself in a much more ironic way than before. I know my strong sides and my weak sides inside and out. But I no longer need to excuse myself. It's okay to be weird now-:)).


"I am not young enough to know everything"
James M Barrie, Novelist

4 comments:

Christopher Raun Leth said...

We have to be true to ourselves to be able to live with ourselves. Otherwise we will just live as others wants us to and that can be quite a miserable life if we have to pretend to be someone else 24/7. When I teach I'm always very honest when asked questions about my life. I don't tell everything and anything, but I don't lie either. My pupils think I'm a bit weird from time to time, but they also think it's a bit cool when I say: Yes, I'm weird...and proud of it!

Asta said...

And you are in a business where it is okay to be weird. I'm in a business where it's not okay.
It took me a very long time to realize that as much as I like my job, I can't be 100% dedicated all the time, because that would demand me being diss-honest to myself, and I can't do that.

Christopher Raun Leth said...

You're probably right; in your business it will be frowned upon if you're too weird, but a little excentric shouldn't be a problem:-) Then a lot of things will be excused with: "Ohh, it's just because Asta has her own way of doing things, but as long as it works..."

Asta said...

True. However, since the company has sort of business values, it's okay to be different but not to bring your own values into the building. So weird would be too much, excentric okay - upp to a certain point.....

There was an error in this gadget