2008-12-20

Nightmare before Christmas

Was away a couple of days for the annual kick-start of the new year conference. It's about mingling with colleagues and networking. Which I like! Thursday evening and night I joined the Conference Dinner and went to bed at 01.30 am. I avoided drinking anything else but water, otherwise I would not have been able to get out of bed again 4 hours later and work.

Finished the book Swedish Mafia the other day. It was so interesting that I read it in 2 days. Extremely well-written. And good research work.

It was a refreshment of things which I obviously can remember now that I was reminded of it but temporarily had forgotten.

One of the most interesting chapters in the book is about Arkan - the Serbian robber who became Mr. Celebrity in Belgrade. Arkan operated during long periods in Sweden which I knew. But I had forgotten the story of his network. Arkan is an example of how a deeply criminal personality can rise to everybody's darling and a millionaire.

The Stein Bagger case makes the book even more current. Stein Bagger may very well try to delude us into something else, but if you as a manager hires a bodyguard who is a member of the Hells Angels, you have something to hide. That Stein Bagger is a charming psychopath who is able to convince people with a university degree makes it all even more ludicrous. Never did we see so many whitewashed hands and red ears at the same time.

2 comments:

Christopher Raun Leth said...

Yes, the last chapter in the comedy of Stein Bagger has not been written yet, and the red ears (and faces) gives a good glow during Christmas :-) Even though a lot of people tries to backpadle big time the short of it is that they either have been extremely naive and/or stupid or else have known about it and profited from it. I don't know what's the best...

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Interesting, sounds like an interesting book/

There was an error in this gadget